Mini Rose Strawberry Shortcakes
Give out roses to all your friends when you serve these classic Shortcakes. The "perfect partners" as the romance, tears and drama of life unfold.
- Cooking time15 min
- Prep time25 min
- Portions 36
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. (7 mL) baking powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks) (250 mL) Becel® salted margarine sticks or unsalted sticks
- 1 cup (250 mL) PLUS 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) icing sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. (10 mL) vanilla extract, divided
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) 2% milk
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) grated orange peel
- 1 cup (250 mL) whipping cream
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) strawberry jam, preferably seedless
- 36 strawberries
|Energy (kcal)||0 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||0 kJ|
|Protein (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Sugar (g)||0.0 g|
|Fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||0 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.00 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||0 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||0.0 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||0 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.00 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||0 mg|
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line bottom of 15 x 10-in. (38 x 25 cm) jelly-roll pan with parchment paper; set aside.
- Combine flour and baking powder in bowl; set aside.
- Beat Becel® sticks with 1 cup (250 mL) icing sugar in large bowl with electric mixer until light and creamy. Add eggs and 1 tsp. (5 mL) vanilla and beat until blended. Alternately add flour mixture and milk beating until just blended. Stir in orange peel. Evenly spread batter in prepared pan.
- Bake 15 minutes or until edges are golden and toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Loosen edges sharp knife. Remove from pan, peel off parchment paper and discard. Cool cake completely on wire rack.
- In mixing bowl beat whipping cream, remaining 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) icing sugar and 1 tsp. (5 mL) vanilla with mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Cut cake in 1/2 crosswise and spread strawberry jam over flat side of one half of cake, then cut into 36 pieces. Place a dollop of whipped cream over jam (using 1/2 of the whipped cream). Cut remaining 1/2 of cake into 36 pieces and place, flat side down over whipped cream. Using remaining whipped cream, top each mini cake with a dollop of whipped cream. Garnish with strawberry roses. (See Tip.)
Tip: For the prettiest strawberry roses, use strawberries with a pointy tip and green stem. • To make a strawberry rose, skewer a strawberry with a fork or skewer, piercing the stem side first, as this will be the base of the rose. • Form the first petal by making a small slit at the base of the strawberry, slicing downwards toward base but without cutting all the way through. Use the edge of the knife to fan out the cut like a petal. Make 3 more petals to form a row of petals around the base of the strawberry. • Just above the first row, make another row of petals, layering between the petals of the first row. • Cut a small slit at the tip of the berry and separate with tip of knife. See nutrition information for calories.