Apple Cider Poached Pears With Vanilla Bean “Nice Cream”
A fruit bowl this is not. A blend of tart and sweet fruit steals the show in our vegan – friendly dessert recipe, including blended frozen bananas. Recipe was made exclusively for Becel by Chef Matt Dean Pettit.
- VANILLA BEAN "NICE CREAM":
- 4 bananas, cut into pieces
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) Becel® Buttery Taste margarine*
- 1 vanilla bean, halved and seeds scraped
- APPLE CIDER POACHED PEARS:
- 4 Bosc pears
- 3 cups (750 mL) organic apple cider
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 whole star anise
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) honey
- Grated 70% Cacao dark chocolate to garnish
1. For Vanilla Bean "Nice Cream", place banana pieces on a parchment paper-lined tray and freeze for 2 to 3 hours.
2. Meanwhile for For Apple Cider Poached Pear, peel pears and slice a thin layer off the base of each. In a large pot over medium-high heat, combine apple cider, cinnamon, star anise, orange juice, and honey. Lay pears in the pot on their sides, fully submerged in the poaching liquid.
3. Bring to a boil and lower to a simmer, poaching the pears for 1½ to 2 hours, turning at the 1-hour mark to not burn.
4. When pears are soft, remove from the liquid and set aside. Bring the liquid back up to a boil and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or until thickened.
5. When ready to serve, complete Vanilla Bean Ice Cream. Add frozen bananas, Becel® Buttery Taste margarine* and vanilla bean paste to a food processor. Blend until the mixture looks like soft serve ice cream, approximately 1 to 2 minutes.
6. To serve, place a poached pear vertically on a small dish and drizzle with thickened apple cider. Place a spoon of vanilla bean “nice cream” on the side. Top with grated chocolate.
450 (1 serving)
5g (1 serving)
1g (1 serving)
1g (1 serving)
1.5g (1 serving)
45mg (1 serving)
103g (1 serving)
9g (1 serving)
75g (1 serving)
3g (1 serving)
38mg (1 serving)
1mg (1 serving)
985mg (1 serving)
0.2g (1 serving)
0.6g (1 serving)