Curried Red Lentil and Spinach Soup
Summer had turned to autumn. Before we knew it, we were pulling scarves out of the closet. We needed more than warmth – we needed spice.
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) Becel® Buttery Taste margarine*
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. (10 mL) finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp. (7 mL) curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) ground cumin
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 carton (900 mL.) reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 2 cups (500 mL) baby spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh cilantro, (optional)
1. Melt Becel® Buttery Taste margarine* in large, heavy-duty pot over medium heat and cook onion, garlic and ginger, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender, about 7 minutes.
2. Add curry powder and cumin and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add carrot, celery, lentils, chicken broth and water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer covered 20 minutes or until lentils and vegetables are tender.
3. Process lentil mixture with hand-held blender*until still chunky. Stir in spinach and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and cilantro.
170 (1 serving)
2.5g (1 serving)
0.5g (1 serving)
1g (1 serving)
90mg (1 serving)
26g (1 serving)
6g (1 serving)
2g (1 serving)
12g (1 serving)
4% (1 serving)
15% (1 serving)
10% (1 serving)
8% (1 serving)