Curried Red Lentil and Spinach Soup
Summer had turned to autumn. Before we knew it, we were pulling scarves out of the closet. We needed more than warmth – we needed spice.
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) Becel® Buttery Taste margarine*
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. (10 mL) finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp. (7 mL) curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) ground cumin
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 carton (900 mL.) reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 2 cups (500 mL) baby spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh cilantro, (optional)
1. Melt Becel® Buttery Taste margarine* in large, heavy-duty pot over medium heat and cook onion, garlic and ginger, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender, about 7 minutes.
2. Add curry powder and cumin and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add carrot, celery, lentils, chicken broth and water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer covered 20 minutes or until lentils and vegetables are tender.
3. Process lentil mixture with hand-held blender*until still chunky. Stir in spinach and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and cilantro.
*Or use traditional blender, processing soup in batches. After processing, return soup to pot and continue as above.
*Becel® Gold in Quebec
170 (1 serving)
2.5g (1 serving)
0.5g (1 serving)
1g (1 serving)
90mg (1 serving)
26g (1 serving)
6g (1 serving)
2g (1 serving)
12g (1 serving)
4% (1 serving)
15% (1 serving)
10% (1 serving)
8% (1 serving)