Gingerbread Cookies with Dates
It’s not every day that one bite of anything takes us back to being a kid. This is like a happy memory in cookie form.
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped pitted dates, divided
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) hot water, very hot, almost boiling
- 2 1/4 cups (550 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp. (3 mL) baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. (3 mL) baking soda
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. (1 mL) ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. (1 mL) salt
- 1/8 tsp. (0.5 mL) ground cloves
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (250 mL) firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) molasses
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) Becel® salted margarine sticks or unsalted margarine sticks, melted
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. (37 mL) granulated sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Spray baking sheets with no-stick cooking spray; set aside. Soak 3/4 cup dates in 1/4 cup boiling water in small bowl 15 minutes.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and cloves in large bowl; set aside.
3. Combine egg, brown sugar, molasses, melted Becel® sticks and date mixture in another large bowl with wire whisk. Make a well in centre of dry ingredients. Pour in wet ingredients and stir until combined. Stir in remaining 1/4 cup chopped dates. Cover and refrigerate dough 1 hour.
4. Roll cookie dough into 1-inch balls with lightly floured hands, then roll in granulated sugar. Place 2-inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake 9 minutes or until cookies are still soft when lightly touched. Cool completely on wire rack.
60 (1 cookie)
0.5g (1 cookie)
0.2g (1 cookie)
0.3g (1 cookie)
5mg (1 cookie)
45mg (1 cookie)
12g (1 cookie)
8g (1 cookie)
1g (1 cookie)
11mg (1 cookie)
47mg (1 cookie)
0.1g (1 cookie)