Fresh Fruit Pastries
Hosting a recent dinner party, we brought these fruit pastries out and joked, “fresh to impress.” While no one laughed, they were certainly impressed.
- Cooking time30 min
- Prep time10 min
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) Becel® Light margarine
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. (1 mL) salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites *
- 4 cups (1 L) frozen yogurt or prepared light whipped topping
- 3 cups (750 mL) cut-up fresh fruit, (strawberries, peaches, raspberries, blueberries), cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) light jam, (strawberry, raspberry, apricot)
Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)
(Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.)
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Bring water and Becel® Light margarine to a boil in medium saucepan. Stir in flour and salt all at once and cook, stirring vigorously, over low heat until mixture leaves sides of pan and forms a ball, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Beat in eggs and egg whites, one at a time, on medium speed with electric mixer or vigorously with a wooden spoon, until smooth and glossy. Drop dough by scant 50 mL, 5 cm apart on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 25 minutes or until puffed and golden. Slit sides of each puff with tip of a sharp knife to allow steam to escape. Bake an additional 2 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Cut puff in half horizontally. Spoon 7 mL jam onto bottom of each puff. Top each with 50 mL frozen yogurt or whipped topping, then 50 mL fruit. Top with puff top. Serve immediately.
*You can use 3 whole eggs instead of 2 whole eggs and 2 egg whites if you prefer.