Vegan Chorizo Patties
- Cooking time25 min
- Prep time30 min
- ServingsPortions 10
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) chilled water, divided
- pinch saffron strands (optional)
- 1 1/2 (375 mL) cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cold Becel® Plant-Based Salted Bricks, cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) tahini (optional)
- 2 cups (500 mL) quartered white mushrooms,about 6 ounces (170g)
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped, about 1/2 cup (125 mL)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) walnuts
- 1 cup ((250 mL) chickpeas
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) ancho chili powder
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) Becel® Plant-Based Salted Bricks
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) tomato paste
|Energy (kcal)||301 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||1260 kJ|
|Protein (g)||7.2 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||32.2 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||26.8 g|
|Sugar (g)||4.3 g|
|Fibre (g)||5.4 g|
|Fat (g)||16.5 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||2.2 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||13.0 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||7.5 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||5.5 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.1 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||477 mg|
|Salt (g)||110.89 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||1161 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||2.1 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||58 mg|
|Iron (mg)||2.69 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||298 mg|
- Microwave 1 tablespoon (15 mL) water and add saffron; let stand until cool. Add remaining 2 tablespoons (30 mL) chilled water to saffron water. (If not using saffron, skip this step.)
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, turmeric and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in Becel until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl combine tahini (if using) and saffron-water mixture (or chilled water). Stir into flour mixture.
- Gather mixture into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together; Divide dough in half and flatten into two disks. Wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one disk of dough to ⅛-inch (3 cm) thickness. Using a 4½-inch (12 cm) round cutter, cut dough into 5 rounds, rerolling scraps only once. Repeat with remaining dough. Place rounds on 2 parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Add all ingredients except Becel and tomato paste to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until very coarsely chopped.
- Heat Becel in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushroom and chickpea mixture to the skillet and stir in tomato paste.
- Cook 8 minutes, stirring often, until lightly browned. Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C) . Place about 2 tablespoons (30 mL) chorizo mixture in center of each round. Fold dough over filling. Crimp to seal with a fork.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until patties are lightly browned.