Falafel Salad With Tahini Dressing
- Cooking time25 min
- Prep time20 min
- Portions 6
- 2 cups Becel® with Avocado Oil margarine for frying
- 2 cups organic chickpeas raw, (soaked overnight, water drained)
- 1 small onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 0 pinch ground cardamom
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 head romaine lettuce , thoroughly washed, dried and cut in 6 length-wise
- 2 ripe tomatoes , diced
- 4 Lebanese cucumbers , diced (skin on)
- 1/4 red onion , chopped very thinly
- 1 fennel bulb , chopped and kept in cold water with ice and a slice of lemon until plating to avoid oxidization.
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olives
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Tahini Dressing:
- 1/3 cup tahini (sesame paste)
- 3 Tbsp. Becel Olive Plus™ Oil Blend
- 1/4 cup PLUS 1 TBsp. lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/3 cup water , (more if needed for desired thickness)
|Total Fat||25.00 g|
|Saturated Fat||3.500 g|
|Trans Fat||0.000 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||4.000 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||10.000 g|
|Total Carbs||34.00 g|
|Dietary Fiber||10.0 g|
|Vitamin D||54.000 mcg|
- Heat Becel® with Avocado Oil margarine in a skillet or frying pan on high heat to 350° F (180° C).
- Mix the chickpeas, onion, garlic, parsley and spices in the blender until somewhat smooth. Add eggs one at a time and add the flour at the end. With a small ice cream scooper or spoon, make balls.
- Fry falafel balls in pan on all sides until golden brown. Once cooked, let drain on paper towel and season with salt immediately.
- Take 6 dinner plates and place romaine lettuce on each dish, fanning it out for presentation and keeping the base on.
- Drizzle with a little Becel Olive Plus™ Oil Blend, add equal portions of cucumber, tomato, fresh fennel, black olives and onion on top of the lettuce in a rustic style, then add 4 falafel balls on each plate.
- For the dressing, add all the ingredients in a blender and pulse until smooth. You can add additional cold water if the vinaigrette is too thick! Drizzle on top of salad and serve!
- Serve with grilled whole wheat pita on the side, if desired.
Tip: Fennel fawns can be used as edible garnish.