Forget cakes and cookies. Surprise your guests with this simple and delicious date square recipe, made with whole wheat flour and oats.
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) pitted dates, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) water
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) large flake oats
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) (125 mL) Becel® salted margarine sticks or unsalted margarine sticks
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) water
1. Bring dates and 1-1/2 cups water to a boil in medium saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thickened and only few pieces of dates remain, about 3 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and vanilla. Let stand to cool.
2. Preheat oven to 350° F (180° C). Lightly spray 23 cm square baking dish with no-stick cooking spray; set aside.
3. Combine flour, oats, sugar and baking soda in medium bowl. Cut in Becel® sticks and 2 tablespoons water with pastry blender or finger tips until mixture is size of small peas. Press 1/2 of the mixture onto bottom of dish. Top evenly with cooled date mixture. Crumble remaining oatmeal mixture over date mixture; press gently.
4. Bake until crumb is golden brown, about 30 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack before cutting.
An old fashioned square that’s perfect for a lunch box or picnic.
180 (1 square)
5g (1 square)
1.5g (1 square)
1g (1 square)
2.5g (1 square)
75mg (1 square)
31g (1 square)
3g (1 square)
19g (1 square)
2g (1 square)
20mg (1 square)
1mg (1 square)
181mg (1 square)
0.3g (1 square)
1g (1 square)