French Onion Soup
- Prep time1 hr
- ServingsPortions 4
- 4 tbsps Becel® with Olive Oil, divided
- 4 medium cooking onions, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 tbsps all-purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 slices sourdough baguette
- 1 cup of Violife Mozzarella Style shreds
Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)
(Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.)
- Melt 3 tablespoons of Becel with Olive Oil in a heavy bottom pot. Add in the sliced onion and cook on medium low until soft and caramelized, about 50-60 minutes, stirring gradually.
- Add in red wine and stir until completely dissolved
- Stir in all purpose flour, then pour in vegetable stock and thyme. Increase heat to bring to a boil then immediately reduce to a simmer. Continue to simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt.
- Meanwhile, spread remaining 1 tablespoon of Becel with Olive Oil on sliced baguette then toast in a 400F oven until golden and crisp, about 1-2 minutes.
- Set the oven to broil.
- Divide the soup into 4 oven-proof bowls. Top with a piece of toast. Divide the Violife Mozzarella style shreds on the toast and surface of the soup.
- Place in the oven and broil until melted and bubbly, about 4 minutes. Serve immediately.
To make this recipe vegan, swap out Becel with Olive Oil with Becel Vegan.