Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
Potatoes are underrated. This recipe alone might change that forever, especially if you’re a cheese lover.
- Cooking time55 min
- Prep time20 min
- ServingsPortions 8
- 2 Tbsp. (60 mL) Dairy-free Becel® Plant Butter - Salted
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) 2% milk
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) fresh thyme leaves*
- 1/8 tsp. (0.5 mL) ground black pepper
- 5 ounces (150 g) shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 lbs. (1 kg) Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and very thinly sliced (about 3 mm-thick)
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) plain dry bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Melt Becel® Salted Plant Butter in 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat and cook onion, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until starting to brown. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds. Stir in flour and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Whisk in milk gradually. Add broth and bring to a boil. Stir in thyme and black pepper. Remove from heat, then stir in 125 g cheese; set aside.
- Lightly spray 33 x 23 cm shallow casserole with no-stick cooking spray. Arrange ½ of the potatoes in overlapping pattern in casserole. Stir cheese mixture, then pour 1/2 over potatoes. Repeat with remaining potatoes and cheese mixture.
- Bake uncovered 45 minutes. Combine remaining cheese with bread crumbs; sprinkle over potatoes. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender and top is golden brown.
*Substitution: Use 1/4 teaspoon (1 mL) dried thyme or rosemary leaves, crushed.