Cinnamon Sugar Baked Treat
This homemade take on an iconic Canadian street food treat is baked instead of fried for a sweet snack or dessert that is equal parts nostalgic, playful and decadent.
- Prep time45 min
- ServingsPortions 6
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) warm water
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) granulated sugar, divided
- 1 pkg (8 g) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) Becel® Plant-Based Unsalted Bricks, divided
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) 2% milk
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups (560 mL) all-purpose flour (approx)
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ground cinnamon
- lemon wedges, for serving (optional)
- In small bowl, stir together 1/4 cup (60 mL) warm water with 1 tsp (5 mL) sugar. Stir in yeast. Let stand for 8 to 10 minutes or until foamy.
- In small saucepan set over medium-low heat, melt 2 tbsp (30 mL) Becel® bricks. Remove 1 tbsp (15 mL) and reserve for Step 5. Add milk to small saucepan, stir and heat just until warm to the touch.
- In large bowl, stir together warm milk mixture, egg, vanilla and 4 tsp (20 mL) sugar. Stir in yeast mixture, 2 1/4 cups (560 mL) flour and salt. Stir together until shaggy dough starts to form. If dough is too sticky, add up to 1/4 cup (60 mL) more flour.
- Transfer dough to lightly floured work surface. Knead for 8 to 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Brush medium bowl with 1 tbsp (15 mL) reserved melted Becel® bricks. Transfer dough to prepared bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature or in warm place until doubled in volume, about 60 to 70 minutes.
- Punch down dough. Divide dough into 6 portions. On lightly floured work surface, roll each portion into an oval shape about 1/4 inch (0.5 cm) thick. Score top of each oval in a crisscross pattern to resemble the tail of a beaver. Arrange on parchment paper–lined baking sheets, spacing at least 4 inches (10 cm) apart. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 20 to 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, whisk together remaining 2/3 cup (150 mL) sugar and cinnamon.
- In small microwave-safe bowl, melt remaining Becel® bricks on HIGH for 20 seconds. Brush both sides of beaver tail–shaped pastries. Sprinkle each side of each pastry with 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon sugar.
- In batches as needed, bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon sugar.
- Serve pastries warm with lemon wedges, if using.