Vegan Creton Paté
Traditionally prepared with ground pork, this vegan version of the French-Canadian classic creton uses mushrooms, tofu and Becel® plant-based unsalted bricks. This texture of the pâté is incredibly creamy, rich and meaty.
- Prep time30 min
- ServingsPortions 6
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Becel® Plant-Based Salted Bricks, divided
- 4 oz (125 g) mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 4 oz (125 g) extra-firm tofu, drained well and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) black pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) ground allspice
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) ground clove
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) smoked sweet paprika
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) plant-based whipping cream (approx)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) soy sauce
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) breadcrumbs
- 1 baguette, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Becel® Plant-Based Unsalted Bricks, divided
- Pâté: In large skillet set over high heat, melt 2 tbsp (30 mL) Becel® bricks. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 8 minutes or until browned. Add onion, tofu, garlic, salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 minutes or until onion is translucent. Stir in thyme, allspice, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg and paprika. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes or until fragrant.
- Stir in broth, 2 tbsp (30 mL) whipping cream and soy sauce. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Let cool completely.
- Add mushrooms mixture and breadcrumbs to food processor; pulse until finely ground.
- Cut remaining Becel® bricks into cubes. While food processor is running, add butter cubes all at once through feed tube and run until incorporated. Pulse until smooth and creamy. If mixture is dry, add up to 4 tsp (20 mL) more plant-based whipping cream to loosen.
- Transfer to greased 8 oz (250 mL) ramekin; smooth top. Cover and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours or until completely chilled.
- Toasts: Preheat broiler.
- Spread baguette slices with Becel® bricks. Arrange on foil-lined baking sheet.
- Broil for 2 to 3 minutes or until toasted and lightly golden.
- Serve pâté with toasts.
For gluten-free Vegan Creton Pâté, use gluten-free breadcrumbs, and wheat-free tamari instead of soy sauce. Serve with your favourite gluten-free bread toasts or crackers.