Creamy Tomato Soup
Get cozy with this simple, healthy, and comforting creamy tomato soup.
- Prep time15 min
- 2 tablespoons (30mL) Becel® Vegan Margarine
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons (30mL) flour
- 1 (796mL) can whole peeled tomatoes in juice
- 1 cup (250mL) vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon (15mL) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon (5mL) salt
- 1 teaspoon (5mL) sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon (2mL) dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon (1mL) crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon (1mL) salt-free Italian seasoning
- 1 cup (250mL) Becel® Plant-based Whipping Cream
- 3 cups (750mL) diced bread (2 cm or 3/4'' cubes)
- 3 tablespoons (45mL) Becel® Vegan Margarine, melted
- a pinch of salt
Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)
(Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.)
- Melt the Becel® Vegan Margarine in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour the tomatoes and vegetable broth into the pot. Then add tomato paste, salt, sugar, dried basil, crushed red pepper and Italian seasoning. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce heat, cover with a lid, and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a blender, and blend until smooth. Return soup to the pot and stir in the Becel® Plant-based Whipping Cream. Serve immediately with croutons.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (175ºC). Arrange an oven rack to the centre position.
- Transfer the diced bread to a mixing bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together the Becel Vegan Margarine and salt. Pour the mixture over the diced bread. Stir to coat the bread cubes well.
- Spread the bread cubes on a baking sheet. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until golden. Stir the cubes halfway through baking. Let the croutons cool before adding to soup.