Holiday Pizza Wreath
Basil and arugula add freshness to this comforting and festive vegan pizza that’s as delicious as it is visually appealing.
- Prep time40 min
- 1 cup (250 mL) warm water, divided
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) Becel® Plant-Based Unsalted Bricks, melted and divided
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) salt
- 2 3/4 cup (675 mL) Robin Hood® Original All Purpose Flour (approx.), divided
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Becel® Plant-Based Unsalted Bricks
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) salt
- Pizza Dough: In small bowl, stir together 1/2 cup (125 mL) warm water and sugar. Stir in yeast. Let stand for 10 minutes or until foamy.
- In large bowl, stir together remaining warm water, 2 tbsp (30 mL) Becel and salt. Stir in 2 1/2 cups (675 mL) flour and yeast mixture. Stir until shaggy dough starts to form. Transfer to lightly floured work surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. If dough is too sticky, mix in up to 1/4 cup (60 mL) more flour.
- Brush medium bowl with remaining Becel. Transfer dough to bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature or in a warm place for 60 to 90 minutes or until doubled in volume.
- Caramelized Onions: Meanwhile, in large skillet set over medium heat, melt Becel. Add onions and salt; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 8 minutes or until starting to soften. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and caramelized. Let cool completely.
- Pizza Wreath: Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Transfer dough to lightly floured work surface. Punch down dough. Roll dough to 14-inch (35 cm) round about 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick. Using 4-inch (10 cm) round cookie cutter or sharp knife, cut out circle in centre of pizza dough (discard or use for another recipe). Let stand for 20 minutes.
- Spread puréed strained tomatoes evenly over pizza dough wreath, leaving 1/2-inch (1 cm) border around outer edge. Scatter caramelized onions, basil and garlic over top. Sprinkle evenly with mozzarella. Top with sausage.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheese is bubbling. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, dice 1 roasted red pepper and garnish over pizza. Top with arugula to resemble a wreath.
- Slice remaining roasted red pepper and arrange slices in top centre of pizza wreath to resemble a decoratively shaped holiday bow.
Substitute vegan sausage with vegan pepperoni if preferred. Use stand mixer fitted with dough hook to prepare pizza dough if desired.