Leek and Potato Soup
With rain against the windows and our lights turned down low, we often take comfort in this reliable old favourite – leek and potato soup.
- Cooking time20 min
- Prep time15 min
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) Becel® Original margarine
- 3 medium leeks, chopped (about 2 cups (500 mL))
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped (about 2 cups (500mL))
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) dried marjoram leaves, crushed
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1/4 tsp. (1 mL) ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) skim milk
Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)
(Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.)
- Melt Becel® Original margarine in large heavy saucepan over medium heat and cook leeks, stirring occasionally, until leeks are tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, potatoes, carrots, marjoram, thyme and pepper. Reduce heat to low. Simmer covered vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir flour into milk; stir into saucepan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thicken. Spoon into soup bowls. Sprinkle, if desired, with chopped parsley.
During this time, when ingredients may be hard to find, we've listed some easy substitutions. -Use green onion or shallots instead of onion. -Use chopped cauliflower instead of potatoes. -Use celery instead of carrot. -Use oregano instead of marjoram. -Use Herbes de Provence instead of thyme or omit. -Use 2 tablespoons (30mL) rice flour, whole wheat flour, gluten-free flour or 1 tablespoon (15 mL) corn starch instead of flour. -Use whole milk, your favorite plant based milk or half and half instead of skim milk. -Use any Becel product instead of Becel Plant-Based Bricks.