Lentil and Mushroom Stew
Yum! We know soup is the ultimate comfort food, and with lentils and mushrooms, what’s not to like?
- Cooking time1 hr 10 min
- Prep time15 min
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) Becel® Salt-Free margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 8 ounces (250 g) cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp. (1 mL) ground red pepper
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) water
- 2 cups (500 mL) fat free reduced sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can (411 g.) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup (250 mL) lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) balsamic vinegar
- Melt Becel® Salt-Free margarine in large saucepot and cook onion, celery, carrots, zucchini and mushrooms over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, 8 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and ground red pepper and cook, stirring frequently, 1 minute.
- Stir in water, broth, tomatoes and lentils and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer covered, until lentils are tender, about 55 minutes. Stir in vinegar.