Moroccan-Style Red Lentil Soup
A soup’s success is measured by how quickly people blow on it to cool it down so they can dive in. This one will take your breath away every time.
- Cooking time40 min
- Prep time15 min
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) Becel® Salt-Free margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp. (7 mL) ground cumin
- 4 cups (1 L) reduced sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) dried red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) hot pepper sauce
- Melt Becel® Salt-Free margarine in large saucepot and cook onion and garlic over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in cumin and cook 1 minute. Stir in broth, water, carrot, celery, lentils and potato. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer partially covered 30 minutes or until lentils and vegetables are tender.
- Puree soup in blender or with hand-held blender until desired consistency. Stir in remaining ingredients.