- Cooking time12 min
- Prep time20 min
For the strawberries:
- 1 kilogram strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 6 tablespoons (90 mL) sugar
For the whipped plant cream:
- 2 cups (500 mL) Becel® Plant-based Whipping Cream
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) vanilla extract
For the shortcakes:
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) Becel® Plant-based Whipping Cream
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) lemon juice
- 2 cups (500 mL) flour
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) sugar
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Becel® Plant-Based Unsalted Bricks, melted
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) turbinado sugar
|Energy (kcal)||432 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||1809 kJ|
|Protein (g)||7.0 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||71.7 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||67.7 g|
|Sugar (g)||22.4 g|
|Fibre (g)||4.0 g|
|Fat (g)||13.0 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||1.8 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||10.1 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||6.5 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||3.6 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.1 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||410 mg|
|Salt (g)||92.76 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||733 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||69.5 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||115 mg|
|Iron (mg)||1.33 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||248 mg|
- Toss sliced strawberries and sugar in a bowl. Allow the berries to sit for 30 minutes or up to 2 hours before serving.
Whipped plant cream
- Using an electric hand mixer or stand mixer, whisk all ingredients on high until the Becel® Plant-based Whipping Cream thickens and stiff peaks form.
- Preheat oven to 475F.
- Mix the Becel® Plant-based Whipping Cream and lemon juice in a small bowl, and set aside for several minutes or until it begins to curdle.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Stir in the Becel® Unsalted Plant-Based Bricks and plant-based whipping cream + lemon juice mixture.
- Knead the dough a few times and then shape it into a circle about 1'' tall. Cut the circle into 8 wedges. Transfer wedges onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush tops of biscuits generously with plant-based whipping cream and sprinkle turbinado sugar on top.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, rotating the sheet halfway through baking. The biscuits should be nicely golden brown. Cool before assembling.
- Split each biscuit in two. Spoon strawberries over half of the biscuits. Then add a dollop of plant-based whipping cream on top. Layer the other biscuit halves on top followed by more strawberries and plant-based whipping cream.