Brown Rice & Orzo Pilaf with Veggies
Why are rice and pasta often thought of as mutually exclusive? Turns out we can all get along.
- Cooking time35 min
- Prep time15 min
- Portions 6
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) Becel® Buttery Taste margarine*
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 red, orange and/or yellow bell peppers, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1/8 tsp. (1 mL) salt
- 1/8 tsp. (1 mL) ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. (1 mL) dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1 cup (250 mL) uncooked brown rice
- 2 1/4 cups (560 mL) reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) uncooked orzo pasta, prepared according to package directions
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley leaves (optional)
|Energy (kcal)||0 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||0 kJ|
|Protein (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Sugar (g)||0.0 g|
|Fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||0 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.00 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||0 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||0.0 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||0 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.00 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||0 mg|
- Melt Becel® Buttery Taste margarine in large saucepot over medium-high heat and cook onion, red peppers, carrot, salt, pepper and thyme, stirring frequently, 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in rice and cook 3 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer covered 25 minutes or until rice is tender. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir in hot orzo and parsley.
*Becel® Gold in Quebec.