Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
- Cooking time
- Prep time
- Portions 8
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) Becel® Buttery Taste margarine*
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/8 tsp. (0.5 mL) five spice powder *
- 2 quarts (2 L) cut-up butternut squash, (about 1 large)
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 carton (900 mL.) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsweetened apple juice
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) firmly packed light brown sugar
|Energy (kcal)||0 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||0 kJ|
|Protein (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Sugar (g)||0.0 g|
|Fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||0 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.00 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||0 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||0.0 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||0 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.00 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||0 mg|
- Melt Becel® Buttery Taste margarine* in large heavy-duty soup pot over medium heat and cook onion with garlic, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender, about 7 minutes.
- Add five spice powder and cook, stirring frequently, 1 minute. Stir in squash, apple, broth and juice. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer covered, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
- Stir in brown sugar. Purée soup with immersion blender or in traditional blender in batches until smooth. Return soup to pot; heat through.
*Tip: Five Spice Powder is used extensively in Chinese cooking and is available in Asian markets and most grocery stores.
*Variation: Substitute 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice for five spice powder.
*Becel® Gold in Quebec Please see nutrition information for sugar content.