Sunchoke, Cauliflower & Chestnut Soup with Herbed Toasts
"I used Becel Vegan to get the perfect, creamy texture for this soup. It's the ideal comfort food, and the herbed toast gives it a Mediterranean touch." Recipe created exclusively for Becel by Chef Kimberly Lallouz.
- Cooking time
- Prep time
- Portions 10
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) Becel® Vegan margarine
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped celery
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped white onions
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped leeks, washed very well
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped sunchokes
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped cauliflower
- 2 cups (500 mL) peeled, cooked chestnuts, divided
- 6 cups (1.5 L) water
- 1 cube organic gluten free vegan vegetable stock
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) Becel Olive Plus™ Oil Blend
- Optional: 1 cup (250 mL)vegan soy or rice or non-lactose cooking creamer
- HERBED BECEL OLIVE PLUS™ OIL BLEND TOASTS
- 6 Tbsp. (90 mL) Becel Olive Plus™ Oil Blend
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) chopped basil leaves
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) chopped green onion
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) chopped parsley
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) sea salt
- Cracked black pepper
- 1 loaf country bread, sliced
|Energy (kcal)||0 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||0 kJ|
|Protein (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Sugar (g)||0.0 g|
|Fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||0 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.00 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||0 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||0.0 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||0 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.00 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||0 mg|
- Preheat oven to 400 °F (200° C).
- In a soup pot, cook the Becel® Vegan margarine, celery, onion and leeks on medium-high heat, with bay leaves and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until vegetables are soft, then add sunchokes, cauliflower, 1 cup of cooked chestnuts, water and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, then return to medium-low heat.
- Place remaining 1 cup cooked chestnuts on a nonstick baking sheet. Drizzle with Becel Olive Plus™ Oil Blend and a sprinkle of salt. Cook until nicely roasted, approximately 15 minutes. Set aside to cool. Once cool, chop for garnish.
- After the soup cooks for about 20 minutes, carefully discard the bay leaves. In a blender, puree the soup until smooth. For extra creaminess, add in the optional cup of cream. Return to soup pot and cook on low heat.
- Serve topped with chopped, roasted chestnuts(1 to 2 per bowl) and herbed toast.
- For Herbed Becel Olive Plus™ Oil Blend Toast, mix the Becel Olive Plus™ Oil Blend
with basil, green onion, parsley and salt and pepper.
- Toast the bread (either in toaster, oven or grill) and gently spoon/spread the herbaceous olive oil on each piece to add a fresh and crunchy touch to the soup.