Coconut Cake with Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cooking time30 min
- Prep time30 min
- 3 cups (750 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp. (12 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) salt
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) Becel® unsalted margarine sticks or salted margarine sticks, (1 1/2 sticks)
- 2 cups (500 mL) granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp. (10 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (250 mL) well stirred coconut milk or milk
- 1 package (250 g.) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Becel® unsalted margarine sticks or salted margarine sticks, (1 stick)
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) coconut extract
- 3 3/4 cups (925 mL) icing sugar
- 1 package (200 g.) sweetened flaked coconut, divided
- For Cake, preheat oven to 350° F (180° C). Grease and flour two 9-inch (2.5 L) round cake pans; set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl; set aside.
- Beat Becel® sticks with sugar in large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- Alternately beat in flour mixture and coconut milk on low speed until blended. Pour batter into prepared pans; smooth tops with spatula.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool on wire racks 15 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely.
- For Frosting, beat cream cheese in medium bowl with electric mixer until smooth. Add Becel® sticks and beat until blended. Beat in coconut extract. Beat in icing sugar on low speed just until blended, then beat on high speed until fluffy, about 30 seconds.
- Place 1 cake layer, top side down on serving plate. Frost with about 1 cup (250 mL) frosting, then sprinkle with about 3/4 cup (175 mL) coconut.
- Top with remaining cake layer, top side up. Frost sides and top with remaining frosting. Sprinkle with remaining coconut, pressing coconut gently into frosting.
TIP: Left over coconut milk can be frozen for future use.