Cardamom Ginger Carrot Cake
- Cooking time35 min
- Prep time30 min
- ServingsPortions 12
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) flax meal plus 1/2 cup (125 mL) water
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) baking powder
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) Becel® Unsalted Plant-Based Bricks
- 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (250 mL) packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) vanilla extract
- 3 cups (750 mL) grated carrot
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped crystallised ginger (optional)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) oat milk or coconut milk
- 8 ounces (250 g) vegan cream cheese alternative, softened
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Becel® Unsalted Plant-Based Bricks
- 3 3/4 cups (925 mL) icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) ground ginger
|Energy (kcal)||275 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||1150 kJ|
|Protein (g)||2.9 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||64.1 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||62.1 g|
|Sugar (g)||43.9 g|
|Fibre (g)||2.1 g|
|Fat (g)||1.1 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||0.1 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||0.8 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||0.2 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||0.6 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||189 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.47 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||5221 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||1.9 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||92 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.76 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||170 mg|
- For Cake, preheat oven to 350° F (180° C). Grease two 9-inch (2.5 L) round cake pans and line with parchment; set aside.
- To make flax eggs, combine flax meal and water; let stand 5 minutes.
- Combine flour, baking powder, cardamom and salt in medium bowl; set aside.
- Beat Becel Unsalted Plant-Based Bricks with sugar in large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add flax egg mixture, beating well. Beat in vanilla.
- Alternately beat in flour mixture and oat milk on low speed until blended. Stir in carrot, coconut and crystallized ginger. Pour batter into prepared pans; smooth tops with spatula.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool on wire racks 20 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely.
- For Frosting, beat vegan cream cheese in medium bowl with electric mixer until smooth. Add Becel Unsalted Plant-Based Bricks and beat until blended. Beat in icing sugar and ginger on low speed just until blended, then beat on high speed until fluffy, about 30 seconds.
- Place 1 cake layer, top side down on serving plate. Frost with about 1 cup (250 mL) frosting.
- Top with remaining cake layer, top side up. Frost sides and top with remaining frosting.
Instead of crystallized ginger, you can substitute raisins or chopped nuts. For a thicker cake, use 8-inch cake pans and increase bake time by 5 minutes.