Vegan Indian "Butter Chickpeas" & Cauliflower
- Cooking time25 min
- Prep time10 min
- Portions 4
- 4 Tbsp. (60 mL) Becel® Salted Plant-Based Bricks
- 1 large (1 large) onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) grated fresh ginger
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) garam masala
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) curry powder (optional)
- 1 cinnamon stick or 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 can (410 g) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (398 g.) coconut milk
- 4 cups (1 L) small cauliflower florets
- 1 can (425 mL) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 Tbsp. (45 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- cooked basmati rice, for serving
|Energy (kcal)||0 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||0 kJ|
|Protein (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Sugar (g)||0.0 g|
|Fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||0 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.00 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||0 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||0.0 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||0 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.00 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||0 mg|
- Melt Becel Plant-Based Bricks in a large skillet over medium heat and cook onion until tender and beginning to brown, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and cook 2 minutes. Add tomato paste, garam masala, curry powder and cinnamon stick and cook, stirring frequently, 2 minutes.
- Stir in diced tomatoes and coconut milk. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in cauliflower and chickpeas. Cover and simmer 10 minutes or until cauliflower is tender. Stir in cilantro and serve with basmati rice and naan if desired.
During this time, when ingredients may be hard to find, we've listed some easy substitutions.
-Use 1 teaspoon onion powder or 3 tablespoons jarred minced onion instead of onion.
-Use 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder instead of garlic.
-Use 2 cups chopped fresh tomato instead of canned tomato.
-Use 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger instead of fresh ginger.
-Use 1 cup heavy cream, half & half, yogurt or evaporated milk instead of coconut milk.
-Use 4 cups of any fresh or frozen vegetable instead of cauliflower.
-Use your favorite canned beans instead of chickpeas.
-Use parsley instead of cilantro or simply leave out the cilantro.
-Use any type of rice or grain instead of basmati rice.
-Use any Becel product instead of Becel Plant-Based Bricks.