Vegan Macar'oat'ni and Cheese
When we need a bit of comfort food, can we make a delicious meal that will warm up the whole family? Yes, we tOATally can.
- Cooking time40 min
- Prep time15 min
- ServingsPortions 6
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) Becel with Oat Beverage margarine
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) salt
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) all-purpose flour (or oat flour)
- 2 cups (500 mL) unsweetened oat milk or almond milk
- 1 package (227 g) Violife Cheddar Style Shreds or non-dairy cheddar shreds
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Violife Creamy Original
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) nutritional yeast
- 8 ounces (227 g) rotini pasta, cooked according to package directions and drained *
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) panko bread crumbs *
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons (60 mL) hemp hearts or flax seed (optional)
- 2 tablespoons (60 mL) Becel with Oat Beverage margarine
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) chopped fresh parsley
|Energy (kcal)||231 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||965 kJ|
|Protein (g)||8.0 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||38.8 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||36.4 g|
|Sugar (g)||1.9 g|
|Fibre (g)||2.4 g|
|Fat (g)||5.1 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||0.5 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||3.9 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||0.6 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||3.3 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||209 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.52 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||28 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||1.7 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||20 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.79 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||139 mg|
- Preheat oven to 400°F ( 200°C).
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt Becel with Oat Beverage margarine. Add onion and salt and cook 5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Stir flour into saucepan and continue cooking over medium heat, 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually stir in oat milk. Simmer, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in non-dairy cheddar shreds, cream cheese and nutritional yeast.
- Arrange cooked pasta in 1-1/2 quart (1.5 L) shallow baking dish. Pour sauce over pasta and stir gently until pasta is evenly coated.
- Combine all ingredients for crumb mixture and sprinkle evenly over pasta. Bake 25 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
* To make this gluten-free: substitute gluten-free pasta for regular pasta; use oat flour instead of wheat flour; use 1/3 cup coarsely chopped oats instead of bread crumbs.