Becel Plant-Based "Butter" Tarts
- Prep time20 min
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. (1 mL) salt 1/4 tsp. (1 mL) salt
- 4 oz. (125 mL) Becel® Plant-Based Unsalted Bricks, divided
- Plus additional 2 tbsp Becel® Plant-Based Unsalted Bricks
- 3 Tbsp. (45 mL) iced water
- 2 tsp. (10 mL) white vinegar, divdied
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) corn syrup
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) pure maple syrup
- 1 egg *
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped pecans 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Grease 12 nonstick muffin cups; set aside.
- Combine flour with salt in medium bowl. Cut in 1/2 cup Becel Unsalted Plant-Based Bricks with pastry blender or finger tips just until large crumbs begin to form. Whisk water with 1 tsp. (5 mL) vinegar. Add just enough water mixture to flour mixture to form dough, while stirring flour mixture with fork. Shape into a ball, then cover with plastic wrap; flatten dough into a disc. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Whisk brown sugar, corn syrup, maple syrup, egg, remaining 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) melted Becel Unsalted Plant-Based Bricks , vanilla and remaining tsp (5 mL) vinegar. Roll dough on lightly floured surface about 0.5 cm thick. Cut out 12 (4-in/10 cm) circles, using a lightly floured glass or circle cutter. Press circles into prepared muffin cups. Fill cups evenly with pecans, then brown sugar mixture.
- Bake 10 minutes then reduce oven temperature to 375°F (190°C). Bake an additional 10 minutes or until deep golden. Let stand in pan 2 minutes, then remove to wire rack and cool completely.
During this time, when ingredients may be hard to find, we've listed some easy substitutions.
- Substitute cider vinegar or lemon juice for white vinegar.
- Substitute honey or corn syrup for maple syrup.
- Substitute rum, brandy or maple syrup for vanilla. Or the vanilla can be omitted.
- Instead of chopped pecans, use any chopped nut, raisins, currants or chocolate chips.
- If you don't have Becel Plant-Based Bricks, any Becel product will work.
* To make this recipe vegan, omit the egg in the filling and replace with an additional 2 tablespoons (30 mL) melted Becel and 2-1/2 to 3 teaspoons (12 mL to 15 mL) cornstarch.