- Cooking time1 hr 10 min
- Prep time30 min
- ServingsPortions 12
- 2 1/4 cups (550 mL) all-purpose flour, divided
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) Becel® salted margarine sticks
- Ice water
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) PLUS 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) granulated sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp. (10 mL) ground cinnamon
- 3 lbs. (1.5 kgs) apples (Granny Smith and McIntosh), peeled, cored and sliced, (about 8 cups)
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) milk
|Energy (kcal)||0 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||0 kJ|
|Protein (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Sugar (g)||0.0 g|
|Fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||0 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.00 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||0 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||0.0 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||0 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.00 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||0 mg|
- For crust, add 2 cups (500 mL) flour in medium bowl. Cut in Becel® salted margarine sticks with pastry blender or two knives until coarse crumbs form. Add 4 to 5 Tbsp. (60 to 75 mL) ice water, 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) at a time, until dough forms. Knead dough with floured hands and shape into two discs, one slightly larger than the other. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Preheat baking sheet. Unwrap larger disc of dough and roll on floured* surface from center to edges to form 13-in. (33 cm) circle. Press into 9-in. (23 cm) pie plate; set aside.
- For filling, combine 1/4 cup (60 mL) granulated sugar, brown sugar, remaining 1/4 cup (60 mL) flour and cinnamon in large bowl. Add apples; toss until coated. **Unwrap remaining pie dough and roll on lightly floured surface to form 10-in. (25 cm) circle. Cut decorative vent holes, if desired; or weave a lattice. Carefully place the pastry over the apples. Brush with milk and sprinkle with remaining 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) granulated sugar.
- Arrange pie on heated baking sheet and bake 10 minutes. Decrease oven to 375°F (190°C). Bake 1 hour or until juices are bubbling. Cover with foil if top gets too brown. Cool on wire rack.
*For easier rolling and transfer of crust, roll dough between plastic wrap. **Variation: Save remaining dough for another use such as mini-pies, pot pies, or the top for another 9-in. (23 cm) pie and use our Oatmeal Crumble Topping recipe instead! See nutrition information for calorie and sugar content.