Braised Chicken with White Beans & Kale
Are you looking for an easy and delicious weeknight meal? This hearty chicken dish fits the bill and can easily be dressed up or down to suit your appetite.
- Cooking time30 min
- Prep time15 min
- ServingsPortions 4
- 4 bone-in, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. (22 mL) Becel® Original margarine, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) chicken broth
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) dry white wine or chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) chopped fresh sage leaves *
- 1 can (540 mL) white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 bunch kale or Swiss chard or spinach, washed, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- Season chicken with thyme, and salt and pepper, if desired. Melt 15 mL Becel® Original margarine in large skillet over medium-high heat and brown chicken, turning occasionally. Remove chicken from skillet and keep warm.
- Add onion, garlic and remaining 7 mL Becel® Original margarine to skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender, about 3 minutes. Add broth, wine and sage; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, then return chicken to skillet. Simmer covered 15 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Stir in beans and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
- Cook kale with a little water in large saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until tender. Season with salt and pepper. Drain and squeeze out excess liquid with back of spoon.
- Divide kale onto 4 plates, then top with chicken, beans and sauce mixture. Garnish, if desired, with fresh sage.
*Substitution: Use 1 teaspoon dried sage leaves, crushed.