Birds chirped, morning sun streamed in, and the smell of breakfast awoke our family, drawing them to the table. These buttermilk pancakes are what they came for.
- Cooking time12 min
- Prep time10 min
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) sugar
- 2 tsp. (10 mL) baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) low-fat buttermilk **
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 3 Tbsp. (45 mL) Becel® Plant-Based Salted Bricks. melted
- Combine flour, sugar and baking powder in medium bowl. Whisk in buttermilk, egg and 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) melted Becel® Plant-Based Salted Bricks.
- Melt remaining 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) Becel® Buttery Taste margarine* in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Drop batter into skillet by 1/4 cupfuls (60 mL). Cook pancakes over medium heat, turning once, until done, about 3 minutes.
During this time, when ingredients may be hard to find, we've listed some easy substitutions. -Use maple syrup in place of sugar. -If you don't have baking powder, use 1 teaspoon ( 5 mL) lemon juice combined with 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) baking soda Or 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) baking soda combined with 1 teaspoon (5 mL) cream of tartar. Another option is to separate the egg and beat the white until stiff peaks form, then fold into batter just before cooking. -If you don't have buttermilk stir 1-1/2 tablespoons (22 mL) lemon juice or white vinegar into 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) milk and let sit 5 minutes. -Instead of an egg use 1/4 cup (50 mL) applesauce, mashed banana, or pumpkin puree. Or use 1 tablespoon (15 mL) flaxmeal combined with 3 tablespoons (45 mL) water. -Use any Becel product instead of Becel Plant-Based Bricks.