Classic Crème Brûlée
No passport required for our delicious take on a French favourite. This luscious Crème Brûlée will transport you from your kitchen to Europe. Bon voyage!
- Cooking time10 min
- Prep time5 min
- 2 tablespoons (30mL) potato starch
- 1/4 cup (60mL) water
- 2 cups (500mL) Becel® Plant-based Whipping Cream
- 1/2 cup (125mL) sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split in half
- 1 teaspoon (5mL) matcha powder, optional
- 1/4 cup (60mL) Becel® Unsalted Plant-Based Bricks, cubed
- 2 tablespoons (30mL) caster sugar or white granulated sugar
- Combine the potato starch and water in a small bowl and whisk well to make a slurry. Set aside.
- Bring the Becel® Plant-based Whipping Cream, sugar, and split vanilla bean to a simmer in a medium sauce pan. If adding matcha powder, remove about 1/4 cup (60mL) of the simmering liquid from the sauce pan. Add the matcha powder to the 1/4 cup (60mL) of liquid and whisk until smooth. Return the matcha mixture to the saucepan and proceed.
- Add the potato starch slurry to the pan, and bring to a boil. Then simmer, while stirring constantly, for 2-3 minutes. The mixture will thicken dramatically.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender and blend on high, gradually adding the Becel® Unsalted Plant-Based Bricks. Blend until the mixture is smooth. Pour the mixture into 1/2 cup (125mL) ramekins, and chill well.
- Sprinkle 2-3 teaspoons (10-15mL) of caster sugar evenly overtop each ramekin. Brûlée the sugar with a culinary torch, taking care to caramelize evenly - serve immediately.