Raise the dessert bar with this modern take on a Canadian classic. Our quick, easy Vegan Nanaimo Bars will delight anyone with a sweet tooth (i.e., everyone).
- Prep time50 min
- 1 tablespoon (15mL) ground flax seed
- 3 tablespoons (45mL) water
- 1/2 cup (125mL) Becel® Unsalted Plant-Based Bricks, cubed
- 1/4 cup (60mL) sugar
- 5 tablespoons (75mL) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 cups (425mL) vegan graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup (125mL) finely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup (250mL) shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup (60mL) Becel® Unsalted Plant-Based Bricks
- 1/2 cup (125mL) Violife ® Creamy Original
- 1 cup (250mL) icing sugar
- 1/2 cup (125mL) Becel® Plant-based Whipping Cream
- 1/2 pound (250g) vegan chocolate, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons (30mL) Becel® Unsalted Plant-Based Bricks
- Grease an 8'' x 8'' baking pan or dish with softened Becel® Unsalted Plant-Based Bricks. Line the dish with parchment paper, and set aside.
- Prepare the "flax egg". Whisk the ground flaxseed and water together. Set the mixture aside for at least 5 minutes.
- Melt the Becel Bricks in a heat-proof bowl set on top of a saucepan of simmering water.
- Add the sugar and cocoa powder to the bowl, and whisk until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and stir in the "flax egg". Fold in the graham cracker crumbs, walnuts and coconut, and stir until the ingredients are combined.
- Transfer the mixture to prepared baking dish. Press into an even layer. Chill in the refrigerator.
- Beat the Becel Bricks, Violife® Creamy Original, and icing sugar on high speed until fluffy and smooth. Add the Becel® Plant-based Whipping Cream and beat on low until combined.
- Transfer the filling to the baking dish, and spread the mixture evenly on top of the first layer. Place the baking dish in the freezer until the third layer is ready to be poured on top. This will freeze the filling and make the process of spreading the chocolate topping much easier.
- Microwave the chocolate and Becel Bricks, stirring every 30 seconds, until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Pour the mixture on top of the second layer. Working quickly, spread the chocolate over the filling. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or until chocolate is set.
- Cut bars into squares, and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.