Forget cakes and cookies. Surprise your guests with this simple and delicious date square recipe, made with whole wheat flour and oats.
- Cooking time35 min
- Prep time15 min
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) pitted dates, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) water
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) large flake oats
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Becel® Salted Plant-Based Bricks or Becel® Unsalted Plant-Based Bricks
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) water
- Bring dates and 1-1/2 cups water to a boil in medium saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thickened and only few pieces of dates remain, about 3 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and vanilla. Let stand to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350° F (180° C). Lightly spray 23 cm square baking dish with no-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- Combine flour, oats, sugar and baking soda in medium bowl. Cut in Becel Plant-Based Bricks and 2 tablespoons water with pastry blender or finger tips until mixture is size of small peas. Press 1/2 of the mixture onto bottom of dish. Top evenly with cooled date mixture. Crumble remaining oatmeal mixture over date mixture; press gently.
- Bake until crumb is golden brown, about 30 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack before cutting.
An old fashioned square that’s perfect for a lunch box or picnic.