People go to New Orleans for all sorts of reasons. We went for the food. And when we came back, we had much more than beads to show for it. We had a new-found love for jambalaya!
- Cooking time40 min
- Prep time20 min
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) Becel® Buttery Taste margarine*
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (796 mL.) diced tomatoes, drained (reserve 1/2 cup / 125 mL juice)
- 5 cups (1.25 L) cooked brown rice
- 1/2 lb. (225 g) uncooked jumbo shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails removed
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) cubed cooked ham, 1/2-inch (1.5 cm)
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) frozen green peas
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) finely chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tsp. (10 mL) dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) hot pepper sauce **
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly grease 13 x 9-inch (33 x 23-cm) baking dish; set aside.
- Melt Becel® Buttery Taste margarine in large saucepan over medium heat and cook celery and onion, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 7 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes and reserved juice and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer 2 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients. Season, if desired, with ground black pepper.
- Turn rice mixture into prepared baking dish. Bake covered 30 minutes or until heated through.
*Becel® Gold in Quebec. **Use more or less according to taste. Please see nutrition information for sodium content.