Falafel Salad With Tahini Dressing
Recipe courtesy of Kimberly Lallouz.
- Cooking time25 min
- Prep time20 min
- ServingsPortions 6
- 2 cups (500 mL) Becel® with Avocado Oil margarine for frying
- 2 cups (500 mL) organic chickpeas raw, (soaked overnight, water drained)
- 1 small onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp. (5 mL) cayenne
- 1/4 tsp. (1 mL) black pepper
- pinch ground cardamom
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. (22 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 tsp. (8 mL) salt
- 1 head romaine lettuce, thoroughly washed, dried and cut in 6 length-wise
- 2 ripe tomatoes diced
- 4 Lebanese cucumbers, diced (skin on)
- 1/4 red onion, chopped very thinly
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped and kept in cold water with ice and a slice of lemon until plating to avoid oxidization.
- 1 cup (250 mL) pitted Kalamata olives
- fresh parsley to garnish
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) tahini (sesame paste)
- 3 Tbsp. (45 mL) Becel® Olive Oil Plus™
- 1/4 cup (75 mL) lemon juice Plus extra 1 Tbsp.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) water, (more if needed for desired thickness)
|Energy (kcal)||657 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||2754 kJ|
|Protein (g)||13.0 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||36.3 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||25.8 g|
|Sugar (g)||5.5 g|
|Fibre (g)||10.5 g|
|Fat (g)||53.7 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||7.5 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||42.7 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||27.4 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||15.3 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.5 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||72 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||1628 mg|
|Salt (g)||507.81 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||14397 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||34.7 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||195 mg|
|Iron (mg)||5.79 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||941 mg|
- Heat Becel® with Avocado Oil margarine in a skillet or frying pan on high heat to 350° F (180° C).
- Mix the chickpeas, onion, garlic, parsley and spices in the blender until somewhat smooth. Add eggs one at a time and add the flour at the end. With a small ice cream scooper or spoon, make balls.
- Fry falafel balls in pan on all sides until golden brown. Once cooked, let drain on paper towel and season with salt immediately.
- Take 6 dinner plates and place romaine lettuce on each dish, fanning it out for presentation and keeping the base on.
- Drizzle with a little Becel Olive Plus™ Oil Blend, add equal portions of cucumber, tomato, fresh fennel, black olives and onion on top of the lettuce in a rustic style, then add 4 falafel balls on each plate.
- For the dressing, add all the ingredients in a blender and pulse until smooth. You can add additional cold water if the vinaigrette is too thick! Drizzle on top of salad and serve!
- Serve with grilled whole wheat pita on the side, if desired.
Tip: Fennel fawns can be used as edible garnish.