Gingerbread Cookies with Dates
It’s not every day that one bite of anything takes us back to being a kid. This is like a happy memory in cookie form.
- Cooking time10 min
- Prep time30 min
- ServingsPortions 48
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped pitted dates, divided
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) hot water, very hot, almost boiling
- 2 1/4 cups (550 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp. (3 mL) baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. (3 mL) baking soda
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. (1 mL) ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. (1 mL) salt
- 1/8 tsp. (0.5 mL) ground cloves
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (250 mL) firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) molasses
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) Becel® salted margarine sticks or unsalted margarine sticks, melted
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. (37 mL) granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray baking sheets with no-stick cooking spray; set aside. Soak 3/4 cup dates in 1/4 cup boiling water in small bowl 15 minutes.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and cloves in large bowl; set aside.
- Combine egg, brown sugar, molasses, melted Becel® sticks and date mixture in another large bowl with wire whisk. Make a well in centre of dry ingredients. Pour in wet ingredients and stir until combined. Stir in remaining 1/4 cup chopped dates. Cover and refrigerate dough 1 hour.
- Roll cookie dough into 1-inch balls with lightly floured hands, then roll in granulated sugar. Place 2-inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake 9 minutes or until cookies are still soft when lightly touched. Cool completely on wire rack.