Grandma's Waldorf Squares
Nutty and crunchy with a sweet hint of maple, these squares might be the family favourite you pass down for generations.
- Cooking time40 min
- Prep time15 min
- ServingsPortions 25
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Becel® Unsalted Plant-Based Bricks
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup (250 mL) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded coconut
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped walnuts
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) baking powder
- 6 Tbsp. (90 mL) Becel® Unsalted Plant-Based Bricks
- 1 box (16 oz.) (450 mL) icing sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tsp. (7 mL) vanilla extract
- additional chopped walnuts, optional
- COOKIE BASE: Preheat oven to 350° F (180° C). Grease a 9 x 13-inch (23 x 35-cm) baking pan. Cut Becel Unsalted Plant-Based Bricks into small pieces and work into flour by hand or with a pastry cutter. Press evenly in prepared pan. Bake 15 minutes; cool on wire rack.
- FILLING: Beat eggs and sugar in a large bowl until combined. Stir in coconut, walnuts, maple syrup and vanilla. Sift together flour, salt, and baking powder. Fold in egg mixture. Spread evenly over cooled cookie base. Bake 25 minutes; cool on wire rack.
- FROSTING: Cream Becel, gradually adding half of the sugar. Beat in 2 Tbsp (30 ml) heavy cream and vanilla. Gradually blend in remaining sugar and cream until frosting is a spreadable consistency. Spread evenly over cooled cake and top with chopped walnuts, if desired. Let set for up to 30 minutes then cut into squares.