Cumin and Turmeric-Spiced Basmati Rice
Every great main dish needs a partner at its side. You can count on this simple, but flavour-packed rice.
- Prep time5 min
- ServingsPortions 6
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) Becel® Original margarine
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. (1 mL) cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp. (1 mL) turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. (1 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. (1 mL) ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. (1 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) basmati rice
- 2 cups (500 mL) reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) golden raisins
- Melt Becel® Original margarine in large saucepan over medium-high heat and cook onion, stirring occasionally, until lightly golden, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook 30 seconds. Add cumin seeds, turmeric, cinnamon, pepper and salt and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
- Stir in rice and broth. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered, until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in raisins and let stand covered 5 minutes. Just before serving fluff with fork.
This recipe has been evaluated by the Heart and Stroke Foundation registered dietitians and is part of a healthy diet based on the recommendations in Canada's Food Guide.