Quick & Easy Mexican-Style Rice
This rice dish is packed with corn, salsa, and chili powder. The best part? The cook time is only 10 minutes!
- Prep time5 min
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) Becel® Buttery Taste margarine*
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) chili powder
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) uncooked instant rice
- 1 package (300 g.) frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) water
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) salsa
Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)
(Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.)
- Melt Becel® Buttery Taste margarine in large nonstick skillet over medium heat and cook chili powder, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Stir in rice and cook, stirring frequently, 1 minute. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook covered until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes.
During this time, when ingredients may be hard to find, we've listed some easy substitutions. -Use 1 teaspoon (5 mL) cumin or taco seasoning instead of chili powder. -Use 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) regular rice or quinoa instead of instant rice. (adjust cook time according to package directions.) -Use 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) cooked fresh or canned corn instead of frozen corn. -Use 1/3 (75 mL) cup chopped fresh tomato or canned diced tomato instead of salsa. -Use any Becel product instead of Becel Buttery Taste margarine. -Add 2 cups (500 mL) cooked cut-up chicken or cooked shrimp to make this main dish. *Becel® Gold in Quebec.