Lemon Cupcakes With Elderflower Frosting
- Cooking time20 min
- Prep time10 min
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1 3/4 tsp. (8 mL) baking powder
- 1 cup (250 mL) (2 sticks) Becel® salted margarine sticks, divided
- 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) 2% milk
- 2 tsp. (10 mL) vanilla extract, divided
- 1 Tbsp. grated lemon peel
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) elderflower liqueur
- 2 cups (500 mL) icing sugar
- Edible flowers, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 12-cup muffin pan with paper cupcake liners; set aside.
- Combine flours and baking powder in medium bowl; set aside.
- Beat 1/2 cup (1 stick) Becel® sticks with granulated sugar in large bowl with electric mixer until creamy. Beat in eggs on low speed until blended, about 2 minutes. Beat in milk and 1 tsp. (5 ml) vanilla. Slowly beat in flour mixture just until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Stir in lemon peel. Evenly spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes and cool completely.
- Meanwhile, blend remaining 1/2 cup (1 stick) Becel® sticks, icing sugar, elderflower liqueur and remaining 1 tsp. (5 mL) vanilla until blended. Beat on medium-high speed, scraping sides occasionally, until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Evenly frost cooled cupcakes and garnish with edible flowers.
*See nutrition information for calorie, saturated fat and sugar content.