How’s your Italian? Ours is pretty good – at least in the kitchen. The secret to this hearty, fresh tomato soup is Becel margarine.
- Cooking time50 min
- Prep time15 min
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) Becel® Original margarine
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (796 mL.) crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups (1 L) reduced sodium beef broth
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) shredded cabbage
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp. (7 mL) dried basil
- 1 1/2 tsp. (7 mL) dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 1 cup (250 mL) small uncooked pasta shells or small bow ties
- 1 can (540 mL) kidney beans, chick peas or black beans, rinsed and drained
- Melt Becel® Original margarine over medium in large saucepan and cook onion, celery, carrots and garlic, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, broth, cabbage, parsley, basil and oregano. Simmer covered 20 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and cook, stirring frequently, until pasta is tender, about 20 minutes.