Mini Strawberry Shortcakes
- Cooking time15 min
- Prep time15 min
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. (7 mL) baking powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks) (250 mL) Becel® salted margarine sticks or unsalted sticks
- 1 cup (250 mL) PLUS 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) icing sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. (10 mL) vanilla extract, divided
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) 2% milk
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) grated orange peel
- 1 cup (250 mL) whipping cream
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Smucker's Strawberry Jam, preferably seedless
- 18 small strawberries, halved
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line bottom of 15 x 10-in. (38 x 25 cm) jelly-roll pan with parchment paper; set aside.
- Combine flour and baking powder in bowl; set aside.
- Beat Becel® salted margarine sticks with 1 cup (250 mL) icing sugar in large bowl with electric mixer until light and creamy. Add eggs and 1 tsp. (5 mL) vanilla and beat until blended. Alternately add flour mixture and milk beating until just blended. Stir in orange peel. Evenly spread batter in prepared pan.
- Bake 15 minutes or until edges are golden and toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Loosen edges sharp knife. Remove from pan, peel off parchment paper and discard. Cool cake completely on wire rack.
- In mixing bowl beat whipping cream, remaining 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) icing sugar and 1 tsp. (5 mL) vanilla with mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Cut cake in 1/2 crosswise and spread Smucker's Strawberry jam over flat side of one half of cake, then cut into 36 pieces. Place a dollop of whipped cream over jam (using 1/2 of the whipped cream). Cut remaining 1/2 of cake into 36 pieces and place, flat side down over whipped cream. Using remaining whipped cream, top each mini cake with a dollop of whipped cream and a strawberry half.
See nutrition information for calories. TIP: For a more decorative look, instead of squares, cut into rounds using 1-1/2-in. (4 cm) cookie cutter. (There will be some waste when you use a round cutter) Makes about 28 sandwich cookies.