Plant-Based Salted Caramel Apple Pie
- Prep time30 min
- ServingsPortions 12
- 2 cups (500 mL) plus 1/4 (60 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) Becel® unsalted Plant-Based bricks
- 4 to 5 (50 - 75 mL) tablespoons ice cold water
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) plus 1 tablespoon (15 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 mL) salt
- 3 lbs (1.5 kgs) apples (Granny Smith and McIntosh), peeled, cored and sliced, (about 8 cups)
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) unsweetened almond milk or oat milk
Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1 can (13.5 oz) coconut milk, full fat
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) sea salt
|Energy (kcal)||252 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||1056 kJ|
|Protein (g)||3.1 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||45.9 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||42.6 g|
|Sugar (g)||25.1 g|
|Fibre (g)||3.2 g|
|Fat (g)||7.5 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||6.4 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||0.5 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||0.3 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||0.2 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||139 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.35 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||57 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||5.0 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||29 mg|
|Iron (mg)||1.58 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||221 mg|
- For crust, add 2 cups (500 mL) flour in medium bowl. Cut in Becel® unsalted Plant-Based Bricks with pastry blender or two knives until coarse crumbs form. Add 4 to 5 Tbsp (60 to 75 mL) ice water, 1 Tbsp (15 mL) at a time, until dough forms. Knead dough with floured hands and shape into two discs, one slightly larger than the other. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes.
- For caramel sauce, combine coconut milk, brown sugar and salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring frequently, or until darkened and thickened.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Unwrap larger disc of dough and roll on floured* surface from center to edges to form 13-in. (33 cm) circle. Press into 9-in. (23 cm) pie plate; set aside.
- For filling, combine 1/4 cup (60 mL) granulated sugar, brown sugar, remaining 1/4 cup (60 mL) flour, cinnamon and salt in large bowl. Add apples; toss until coated. Transfer apples to pie crust and drizzle with half the salted caramel sauce.
- Unwrap remaining pie dough and roll on lightly floured surface to form 10-in. (25 cm) circle. Cut decorative vent holes, if desired; or weave a lattice. Carefully place the pastry over the apples. Brush with milk alternative and sprinkle with remaining 1 Tbsp (15 mL) granulated sugar.
- Place pie on baking sheet and bake 10 minutes. Decrease oven to 375°F (190°C). Bake 1 hour or until juices are bubbling. Cover with foil if top gets too brown. Cool on wire rack. Drizzle with remaining salted caramel sauce before serving.
*For easier rolling and transfer of crust, roll dough between plastic wrap.