Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies
- Prep time12 min
- ServingsPortions 15
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3 tbsps cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup Becel® Original
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp red food colouring
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 oz Violife Original Creamy
- Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Place the chocolate chips and Becel Original in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 45 seconds then stir until smooth and fully melted.
- In a separate large bowl, using a hand mixer beat eggs and sugar together until pale yellow. Add in red food colouring, vanilla, and the chocolate mixture. Stir until smooth.
- While the mixer is on low, gradually add in the flour mixture. Stir until just combined.
- Place ½ cup icing sugar in a separate bowl
- Scoop the batter into about 1 ½ tablespoon size portions and place on the baking sheet 2-inches apart
- Bake for 8 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, beat the Violife Creamy Original with the icing sugar until thick and smooth
- Using a 1-inch heart shaped cutter, cut hearts out of the centre of half the cookies.
- Spread about 1 tablespoon of the frosting over the flat side of the other half of the cookies. Press the hearted cookies flat side down into the filling of the frosted cookies. Serve immediately or store in an air-tight container with a lid.
To make these cookie sandwiches vegan, swap out Becel Original to Becel Vegan and use a vegan egg replacement of your choice such as flaxseed egg to replace the two eggs. For each egg you need to replace, combine 1 tbsp ground flaxseed with 3 tbsp water and let stand for 10 minutes to thicken before adding to your other ingredients.