Spinach and Violife Feta Pastry Triangles
- Cooking time15 min
- Prep time30 min
- 3/4 cup cold Becel® Plant-Based Unsalted Bricks
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 150 grams frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1/2 cup Violife Feta Style Block, crumbled
- 1/4 cup green onion
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon dehydrated onion
- Grate the Becel Plant Butter on a cheese grater.
- In a large bowl, blend the Becel Plant Butter with the flour and salt. Use your fingertips to blend until the mixture looks like small pebbles.
- Add 1 egg to the flour mixture (keep 1 egg aside for pastry egg wash). Gently stir with a wooden spoon until a shaggy dough comes together. Use your hands to knead into a smooth dough. Form into a disk and let rest in the refrigerator for a minimum of 30 minutes or overnight.
- Prepare two baking sheets lined with parchment. Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. First, wring out the water from the spinach by wrapping in paper towel or cheese cloth and squeezing until dry.
- Stir the spinach with Violife Feta, green onions, and season with salt.
- Roll the dough out into a ¼ inch thick sheet. Using a 3 inch circle cutter, cut circles out of the dough sheet. Collect scraps and repeat until you have about 10-12 circles.
- Transfer the dough circles onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Divide the spinach filling into the centre of each circle.
- Mix the sesame seeds, poppy seeds and dehydrated onion in a small bowl.
- Beat the remaining egg in a small bowl. Brush the egg wash on the periphery of each circle and pinch to form triangles. Brush the pastry with egg wash and sprinkle with seed and onion mixture.
- Bake until golden, about 15 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes and serve.
To make these pastry triangles vegan, use a vegan egg substitute such as flaxseed egg. For each egg you need to replace, combine 1 tbsp ground flaxseed with 3 tbsp water and let stand for 10 minutes to thicken before adding to your other ingredients.