Apple Cider Poached Pears With Vanilla Bean "Nice Cream"
A fruit bowl this is not. A blend of tart and sweet fruit steals the show in our vegan - friendly dessert recipe, including blended frozen bananas. Recipe was made exclusively for Becel by Chef Matt Dean Pettit.
- Cooking time2 hr 20 min
- Prep time15 min
- Portions 4
- VANILLA BEAN "NICE CREAM":
- 4 bananas, cut into pieces
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Becel® Buttery Taste margarine
- 1 vanilla bean, halved and seeds scraped
- APPLE CIDER POACHED PEARS:
- 4 Bosc pears
- 3 cups (750 mL) organic apple cider
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 whole star anise
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) honey
- Grated 70% cocoa dark chocolate to garnish
|Energy (kcal)||535 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||2235 kJ|
|Protein (g)||4.2 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||104.4 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||92.7 g|
|Sugar (g)||75.0 g|
|Fibre (g)||11.6 g|
|Fat (g)||14.4 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||6.8 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||6.2 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||4.8 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||1.5 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.5 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||1 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||17 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.04 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||366 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||48.7 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||77 mg|
|Iron (mg)||4.08 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||1002 mg|
- For Vanilla Bean "Nice Cream", place banana pieces on a parchment paper-lined tray and freeze for 2 to 3 hours.
- Meanwhile for For Apple Cider Poached Pear, peel pears and slice a thin layer off the base of each. In a large pot over medium-high heat, combine apple cider, cinnamon, star anise, orange juice, and honey. Lay pears in the pot on their sides, fully submerged in the poaching liquid.
- Bring to a boil and lower to a simmer, poaching the pears for 1½ to 2 hours, turning at the 1-hour mark to not burn.
- When pears are soft, remove from the liquid and set aside. Bring the liquid back up to a boil and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or until thickened.
- When ready to serve, complete Vanilla Bean Ice Cream. Add frozen bananas, Becel® Buttery Taste margarine* and vanilla bean paste to a food processor. Blend until the mixture looks like soft serve ice cream, approximately 1 to 2 minutes.
- To serve, place a poached pear vertically on a small dish and drizzle with thickened apple cider. Place a spoon of vanilla bean “nice cream” on the side. Top with grated chocolate.
*Becel Gold in Quebec.