For some, brown bananas mean a missed opportunity. For us, they’re just the beginning of a delicious adventure.
- Cooking time1 hr
- Prep time15 min
- ServingsPortions 16
- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp. (6 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Becel® Salted Plant-Based Bricks
- 1 cup (250 mL) firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) finely chopped toasted walnuts
|Energy (kcal)||0 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||0 kJ|
|Protein (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Sugar (g)||0.0 g|
|Fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||0 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.00 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||0 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||0.0 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||0 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.00 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||0 mg|
- Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C). Lightly spray 9 x 5-inch (23 x 13-cm) loaf pan with no-stick cooking spray.
- Combine flours, baking powder and baking soda in medium bowl; set aside.
- Beat Becel Salted Plant-Based Bricks with brown sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in eggs, buttermilk and vanilla, scraping sides occasionally, until blended. Alternately beat in flour mixture and bananas until blended. Stir in walnuts. Spoon into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake 60 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean and top is dark golden brown. Cool 10 minutes on wire rack; remove from pan and cool completely.
During this time, when ingredients may be hard to find, we've listed some easy substitutions. -If you don't have baking powder, increase baking soda to 1 teaspoon (5 mL) . -If you don't have baking soda, increase baking powder to 2 3/4 teaspoons (13 mL). ) -If you don't have brown sugar use 1 cup (250 mL) white sugar mixed with 1 tablespoon (15 mL)molasses or maple syrup. -If you don't have eggs use 1/2 (125 mL) cup applesauce or 2 tablespoons (30 mL) flax meal combined with 1/3 cup (75 mL) water. -If you don't have buttermilk stir 2-1/4 teaspoons (11 mL) lemon juice or white vinegar into 3/4 cup (175 mL) milk and let sit 5 minutes. -If you don't have vanilla, use maple syrup or just leave it out. -If you don't have enough bananas, you can use 1/2 cup ( 125 mL) applesauce for each banana, but don't replace more than 2 bananas or the bread will be too wet. -If you don't have walnuts, use pecans or pistachios or you can just leave out. You can also substitute chocolate chips for the walnuts. -Use any Becel product instead of Becel Plant-Based Bricks.