Chicken with Tomato & Fennel
Tomatoes are available year-round, and thank goodness for that. This fresh take on an old standby is a family favourite.
- Cooking time35 min
- Prep time15 min
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/8 tsp. (0.5 mL) salt
- 1/8 tsp. (0.5 mL) ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) Becel® Oil
- 2 tsp. (10 mL) Becel® Buttery Taste margarine*
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dry red wine
- 1/2 bulb fennel, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 can (796 mL.) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh basil leaves or parsley
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat Becel® Oil in large, deep skillet over medium-high heat and brown chicken. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- Melt Becel® Buttery Taste margarine* in same skillet over medium heat and cook onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in wine and cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced by half. Stir in fennel, tomatoes, fennel seeds, basil and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook covered 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Return chicken along with juices to skillet and simmer covered, stirring occasionally, until chicken is thoroughly cooked, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Serve, if desired, over hot brown rice or whole grain noodles.
*Becel® Gold in Quebec