Easy Pumpkin Pie
We’ve been there: the family is coming, so you opt for a store-bought pie. This pumpkin pie recipe is as easy as that (and way better tasting).
- Cooking time35 min
- Prep time25 min
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) salt
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) Becel® salted margarine sticks or unsalted margarine sticks
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) iced water
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) 1% plain yogurt
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) white vinegar
- 1 can (398 g.) unsweetened pure pumpkin puree
- 1 cup (250 mL) 1% evaporated milk
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tsp. (10 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp. (7 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) ground ginger
- 1 pinch ground allspice
- 1 pinch salt
- Mix flours with salt in medium bowl. Cut in Becel® sticks with finger tips or two knives until large crumbs begin to form; set aside. Blend water, yogurt and vinegar with wire whisk. While stirring flour mixture with a fork, gradually add just enough water mixture to form dough. Shape into a ball, then wrap in plastic wrap. Flatten dough into a disc and chill at least 30 minutes.
- Blend pumpkin, evaporated milk, egg, egg whites, sugar, vanilla, spices and salt in medium bowl with wire whisk; set aside.
- Set oven rack on bottom shelf of oven. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Roll dough between large pieces of plastic wrap forming 30cm circle.Discard top piece of plastic, then turn dough into pie plate. If dough is a little sticky, brush with flour. Trim dough, then fold overhanging dough so it meets the edge of the pie plate and crimp edges.
- Pour in filling, smoothing surface. Bake 15 minutes. Decrease oven temperature to 350°F (180°C) and continue baking 20 minutes or until center of pie is just set when wiggled. Cool completely on wire rack.