After a chilly day outdoors, bake this loaf to make your house feel like a home, letting the warmth of the oven and freshly baked gingerbread welcome you inside.
- Cooking time35 min
- Prep time25 min
- Portions 25
- 3 cups (750 mL) water
- 2 cups (500 mL) molasses
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) baking soda
- 1 cup (2 sticks) (250 mL) Becel® unsalted margarine sticks
- 2 cups (500 mL) demerara brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 5 cups (1.25 L) all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) baking powder
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) ground ginger
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) salt
- 2 dashes (2 dashes) ground cloves
|Energy (kcal)||0 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||0 kJ|
|Protein (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Sugar (g)||0.0 g|
|Fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||0 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.00 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||0 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||0.0 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||0 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.00 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||0 mg|
- Preheat oven to 350° F (180° C). Grease and flour three 9 x 2.5-inch loaf pans.
- Bring water to boil in a saucepan. Remove from heat and stir in molasses and baking soda. Cool to lukewarm.
- Beat Becel® sticks and demerara brown sugar in large bowl until smooth and creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, salt and cloves in a separate bowl.
- Gradually, alternately add dry ingredients and the molasses mixture to Becel® sticks and sugar mixture, occasionally scraping sides and bottom of bowl.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pans and bake 30-35 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack until slightly warm. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire rack.
- Ice with cream cheese frosting, if desired.