How can we get nutrition and great taste in one snack? The answer is tasty and convenient.
- Cooking time15 min
- Prep time15 min
- ServingsPortions 24
- 4 egg whites or 125 mL egg substitute
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) buttermilk
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) Becel® salted margarine sticks or unsalted margarine sticks, melted
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) coarsely grated carrots
- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) bran cereal or muesli cereal, (not flakes)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tsp. (10 mL) grated orange peel or lemon peel
- 1 1/2 tsp. (7 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Beat egg whites, buttermilk and melted Becel® sticks in medium bowl with wire whisk until blended; set aside. Combine remaining ingredients in large bowl. Stir buttermilk mixture into flour mixture until well combined. Turn into lightly greased 13 x 9-inch (3.5 L) baking pan, smoothing the top.
- Bake 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Cool completely on wire rack. Cut into squares to serve. Store refrigerated in an airtight container.